from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several diseases of plants caused by certain fungi and characterized by dead spots on the leaves, twigs, or fruits.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several fungal diseases that affect many plants and trees
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of several fungus diseases, caused by parasitic species of the series Melanconiales, attacking the bean, grape, melon, cotton, and other plants. In the case of the grape, brown concave spots are formed on the stem and fruit, and the disease is called bird's-eye rot.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A disease of grapevines which affects the leaves, the young stems, and the green berries, and is caused by a fungus, Sphaceloma ampelinum.
- n. A name given to those diseases of plants which are caused by the attacks of fungi of the genera Glæosporium and Colletotrichum.
French : Greek anthrax, anthrak-, carbuncle + Greek nosos, disease.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)