from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A medieval missile launcher designed on the principle of the crossbow.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A late form of medieval crossbow, having a steel prod, or bow.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A crossbow, consisting of a steel bow set in a shaft of wood, furnished with a string and a trigger, and a mechanical device for bending the bow. It served to throw arrows, darts, bullets, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- See arbalist, arbalister.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an engine that provided medieval artillery used during sieges; a heavy war engine for hurling large stones and other missiles
Middle English arblast, from Old English, from Old French arbaleste, from Late Latin arcuballista : Latin arcus, bow + Latin ballista, ballista; see ballista.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English arblast, from Old French arbaleste (modern arbalète), from Late Latin arcuballista, from Latin arcus + ballista. (Wiktionary)