from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of arbitrating; arbitration.
- n. The judgment of an arbitrator or arbiter.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The judgement of an arbiter or arbitrator; an arbitration
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Determination; decision; arbitration.
- n. The award of arbitrators.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The power or right to decide for one's self or for others; the power of absolute and final decision.
- n. The act of deciding a dispute as an arbiter or arbitrator; the act of settling a claim or dispute which has been referred to arbitration; the absolute and authoritative settlement of any matter.
- n. The decision or sentence pronounced by an arbiter.
- n. Sometimes spelled arbitrement.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of deciding as an arbiter; giving authoritative judgment
Middle English arbitrement, from Old French, from arbitrer, to judge; see arbitrage.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)