from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See paper nautilus.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A pelagic octopus of the genus Argonauta.
- n. An adventurer on a dangerous but rewarding quest.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of the legendary Greek heroes who sailed with Jason, in the Argo, in quest of the Golden Fleece.
- n. A cephalopod of the genus Argonauta.
- n. One of those who went to California in search of gold shortly after it was discovered there in 1848.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of the heroes who, according to the ancient Hellenic myth, sailed with Jason in the ship Argo to Colchis on the Euxine sea in quest of the golden fleece.
- n. plural Those who emigrated to California about the time of the discovery of gold there: as, the Argonauts of '49.
- n. [lowercase] A cephalopod mollusk, known also as the paper-nautilus and paper-sailor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone engaged in a dangerous but potentially rewarding adventure
- n. cephalopod mollusk of warm seas whose females have delicate papery spiral shells
- n. (Greek mythology) one of the heroes who sailed with Jason in search of the Golden Fleece
New Latin Argonauta, genus name, from Latin Argonautae, Argonauts; see Argonaut.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)