from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various perennial herbs in the arum family, including houseplants such as the anthurium, dieffenbachia, and philodendron and having tiny flowers crowded in a spadix that is subtended by a spathe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any plant of the family Araceae, found chiefly in the tropics
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Belonging to, or resembling, the Arum family of plants (Araceae).
- n. Any plant of the Arum family (Araceæ); -- have small flowers massed on a spadix surrounded by a large spathe.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of the Aroideœ or Araceœ.
- Like or representing the genus Arum or the family Araceæ: as, an aroid type.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to a plant of the family Araceae
- n. any plant of the family Araceae; have small flowers massed on a spadix surrounded by a large spathe
ar(um) + -oid.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)