from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The scientific measurement of the positions and motions of celestial bodies.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the branch of astronomy that deals with the measurement of the positions and motions of celestial bodies, particularly stars.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The art of making measurements among the stars, or of determining their relative magnitudes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The art of determining by measurement the apparent relative magnitude of the stars.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the branch of astronomy that deals with the measurement of the position and motion of celestial bodies
astro- + -metry (Wiktionary)