from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several extinct humanlike primates of the genus Australopithecus, known chiefly from Pleistocene fossil remains found in southern and eastern Africa.
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of these extinct humanlike primates.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several extinct hominid primates, of the genus Australopithecus, from the Pleistocene period.
- adj. Of or pertaining to these creatures
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any of several extinct humanlike small-brained bipedal primates of the genus Australopithecus; they existed from 1 to 4 million years ago.
- adj. of or pertaining to the genus Australopithecus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or belonging to the hominid genus Australopithecus
- n. any of several extinct humanlike bipedal primates with relatively small brains of the genus Australopithecus; from 1 to 4 million years ago
From New Latin Austrālopithēcus, genus name : Latin austrālis, southern; see austral1 + pithēcus, ape (from Greek pithēkos).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From New Latin Australopithecus + -ine. (Wiktionary)