from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of auto da fe.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A judgment of the Inquisition in Spain and Portugal condemning or acquitting persons accused of religious offenses.
- n. An execution of such sentence, by the civil power, esp. the burning of a heretic. It was usually held on Sunday, and was made a great public solemnity by impressive forms and ceremonies.
- n. A session of the court of Inquisition.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as auto de fe.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the burning to death of heretics (as during the Spanish Inquisition)
Sorry, no etymologies found.