from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having all stages of a life cycle occurring on the same host.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to a fungus, most often a rust, completing its life cycle on one host.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Passing through all its stages on one host, as certain parasitic fungi; -- contrasted with
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In bryology, having both male and female inflorescence on the same plant; monœcious. Three modifications are cladautœcious, goniautœcious, and rhizautœcious. Also written autoicous.
- In mycology, passing through all its stages of development on the same host, as certain species of the genus Puccinia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of parasites especially rust fungi; completing the entire life cycle on a single host
From auto- + Greek oikos, house; see weik-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
auto- + -oecious (Wiktionary)