from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Spending different stages of a life cycle on different, usually unrelated hosts. Used of parasites such as rust fungi and tapeworms.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of dependent organisms, spending portions of the life cycle on different types of hosts.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Passing through the different stages in its life history on an alternation of hosts, as the common wheat-rust fungus (Puccinia graminis), and certain other parasitic fungi; -- contrasted with
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or characterized by heterœcism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of parasites; passing through different stages of the life cycle on different host species
hetero- + Greek oikiā, house; see weik-1 in Indo-European roots + -ous.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
hetero- + -oecious (Wiktionary)