American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Botany Self-fertilization in plants.
- n. Biology The union of nuclei within and arising from a single cell, as in certain protozoans and fungi.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, close fertilization, or self-fertilization; the fertilization of a flower by its own pollen. See allogamy.
- n. In biology, the pairing or mating of like with like.
- n. self-fertilization, the fertilizing pollen being derived from the same blossom as the pistil acted upon.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.) Self-fertilization, the fertilizing pollen being derived from the same blossom as the pistil acted upon.
- n. self-fertilization in plants
- auto- + -gamy (Wiktionary)
“Studies of compatibility of about 14% of the flora indicate that 85% of these species are self-compatible, but their level of autogamy is low.”
“Self-pollenization (autogamy): pollen moves to the female part of the same flower, or to another flower on the same individual plant.”
“This is sometimes referred to as self-pollination, but this is not synonymous with autogamy.”
“The three basic types of sex are gametogamy, autogamy, and conjugation — all of which are explained on the reproduction strategies page.”
“I wish that I had used some such terms as autogamy, xenogamy, etc ...”
“I cannot remember having ever expressed a belief that autogamy, as a general rule, was better than geitonogamy; but the cases recorded by me seem too strong not to make me suspect that there was some unknown advantage in autogamy.”
“The terms xenogamy, geitonogamy, and autogamy were first suggested by Kerner in”
“I entirely agree with you on the a priori probability of geitonogamy being more advantageous than autogamy; and”
“In xenogamy the pollen comes from another PLANT; in geitonogamy from another FLOWER on the same PLANT; in autogamy from the androecium of the fertilised”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘autogamy’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Words that appear in the Palaeos Eukarya glossary.
Looking for tweets for autogamy.