from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Botany Self-fertilization in plants.
- n. Biology The union of nuclei within and arising from a single cell, as in certain protozoans and fungi.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. self-fertilization, the fertilizing pollen being derived from the same blossom as the pistil acted upon.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Self-fertilization, the fertilizing pollen being derived from the same blossom as the pistil acted upon.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, close fertilization, or self-fertilization; the fertilization of a flower by its own pollen. See allogamy.
- n. In biology, the pairing or mating of like with like.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. self-fertilization in plants
auto- + -gamy (Wiktionary)