from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A name by which a people or social group refers to itself.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An infraspecific name in which the species epithet is repeated.
- n. A name used by a group or category of people to refer to themselves or their language, as opposed to a name given to them by other groups.
- n. The true name of a person or other entity, especially an author.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One's own name; a real name: opposed to pseudonym and anonym.
- n. That which bears one's own name, as a book published under the author's real name.
- n. The self-same name; one and the same name for two or more things; a homonym.
- n. In anthropology, the name by which a people call themselves.
aut(o)- + -onym.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
auto- "self" + -onym "name" (Wiktionary)