from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various perennial herbs of the genus Geum in the rose family, having often pinnate basal leaves and variously colored flowers with many pistils.
- n. The mountain avens.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A plant of the genus Geum, especially Geum urbanum, or herb bennet.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A plant of the genus Geum, of the rose family, esp. Geum urbanum, or herb bennet. They may bear red, yellow, or white flowers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The popular English name of species of plants of the genus Geum.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various perennials of the genus Geum having usually pinnate basal leaves and variously colored flowers
Middle English avence, from Old French, from Medieval Latin avencia.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)