from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An excavator whose bucket is rigidly attached to a hinged pole on the boom and is drawn backward to the machine when in operation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A piece of excavating equipment consisting of a digging bucket or scoop on the end of an articulated arm; drawn backwards to move earth.
- n. A multi-purpose tractor with a front-mounted loading bucket and a rear-mounted digging bucket.
- v. To excavate using such equipment.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an excavator whose shovel bucket is attached to a hinged boom and is drawn backward to move earth
back + hoe (Wiktionary)