Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To bark; yelp.
- To beat; strike; specifically, in the game of golf, to hit the ground with the club when striking at the ball.
- n. A blow; a heavy thump.
- Worthless; useless.
- v. intransitive, archaic To bark; yelp.
- v. To hit or strike, especially with something flat or soft.
- v. golf To strike the ground with the bottom of the club when taking a stroke.
- n. Geordie blank
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Scot. A blow; a stroke; thud.
- n. (Golf), Scot. or Golf a stroke in which the sole of the club hits the ground and drives the ball aloft.
- v. Scot. or Golf To strike; to beat; to make a baff.
- Probably from Old French baffe ("slap in the face") (French baffe), of imitative origin. (Wiktionary)
“Imperiyush Grouchi leedin-Man kitteh duz nawt want bubbLOl baff.”
“Yoo kno teh storee bout teh ownur dat tried to giv her kitteh a baff, dun yoo?”
“Dey can haz kitteh baff lik lik tew get ridz uv dirt laeter.”
“June 3, 2010 at 9:02 pm ai dunnoez abowt dat….ai knoez datt itt taystez gud…butt ! ann entyer baff obbitt?”
“I was finkin dat redd wanted to cheer him up wiffa nice warm baff.”
“April 11, 2010 at 3:59 pm oh, an teh blakk marble toilet in teh master baff. we gotted taht bafroom re-done right neer hallolween wun yeer. teh naybor saw teh blakk toilet owt in the frunt yard while teh bafroom guy wuz wurking, an sed we shuld keep it owt ther for halolween an have a ghost coming up owt of it.”
“Pooh fing, her wuz so upset, first the drive then the baff.”
“If u hav a ‘beanbag’ seet, u kneads tu wosh it sumtiems, and teh baff iz teh best plais tu poot teh ‘beens’ wiel it drise.”
“Aifink mebbe wuz taykin a breff in teh middlol uv a baff.”
“Ummm… wai duz da hooman have baff masheen fillded wiff foam bawl pit in da furst place? curious kittehs wanna no.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘baff’.
Anything related to Scottish culture, cuisine, language, history and so on. Does not include Gaelic words unless acceptable (roughly speaking!) in a wider sense.
This is an eclectic and somewhat random list of words that catch and hold my attention. They may be archaic or disused, dialectal, jargon words from my fields of academic speciality (linguistics, ...
Words ending in double F
Looking for tweets for baff.