from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A portable coffer or chest with a rounded lid covered in leather, garnished with nails, once used for the transport of clothes or other personal luggage. It was the original portmanteau.
- n. A dwarf-wall of plain masonry, carrying the roof of a cathedral or church and masked or hidden behind the balustrade.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A chest, often with an arched or convex top, and frequently covered with leather, richly carved, or otherwise ornamented.
- n. An ornamental cabinet, especially one having doors. See cabinet.
- n. In architecture: The convex crowning course of a wall or parapet.
- n. In great medieval buildings, a low wall supporting the roof behind the gutter and balustrade or parapet crowning the main walls.
- n. A dress for masquerading: a damino.
Kiddo friendly..daughter too liked it gave a nice feedback..'bahut tashty banaya tuney'...secretly thanked God and Meera Aunty!
Whenever the song, "Woh ladki bahut yaad aati hai" plays on TV, I remember Aslambhai!
"Jab paisa hai to Dal-Roti Ice-cream khayenge, jab thode paise hai to dal-roti khayenge, aur jab bahut kam hai to ek chai do vada-pav pe zindagi chalta hai".
I shouted back, and our challenger remarked that it was cold, at which the oaf Kavanaugh petrified me by suddenly bawling out: "Han, bhai, bahut nmder!"
He added: '_Sahib, ham log larai men bahut tez hain, magar jang ka bandobast nahin jante_' ( 'Sir, we can fight well, but we do not understand military arrangements').
One of the first authentic pieces of furniture is a _bahut_ or chest dating from sometime in the twelfth century and belonging to the Church of Obazine.
(Vers la porte, en tournant), sur le bahut énorme,
"_Bahut, bahut salaam_,  Sahib!" he broke out in a tremulous fervour of gratitude.
But for the present the results are apt to sound grotesque, when the traveller, who expects a train to start at the appointed time, is told: "_tren late hai, lekin singal down hogaya_" (the train is late, but the signal has been lowered), or the criticism is passed on a popular officer: "_bahut affable hai, lekin hand shake nahín kartá_" (very affable, but doesn't shake hands).
"_Baroff bahut_" (There is much snow), remarked one man, as he put his nose outside his blanket and rubbed his eyes, smarting from the white glare of the snow around us.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.