from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A park or stadium in which ball games are played.
- n. Slang The approximately proper range, as of possibilities or alternatives: Your estimate is high, but still in the ballpark.
- adj. Of, relating to, or used in a park or stadium: ballpark lights; ballpark seating.
- adj. Slang Being approximately proper in range: gave a ballpark estimate of future unit sales.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A field, stadium or park where ball, especially baseball, is played.
- n. The general vicinity; somewhere close; a broad approximation.
- adj. Approximate; close; on the right order of magnitude.
- v. To make a rough estimate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. near to the scope or range of something
- n. a facility in which ball games are played (especially baseball games)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
"Having different flavors of ice cream for the ballpark is a good thing."
''A shutout against this club in this ballpark is almost impossible,' 'Reds manager Dusty Baker said.
To keep those guys to four hits in 10 innings in this ballpark is a testimony to the quality of pitching tonight.
•Directions: Take I-10 to 60 East to Country Club Drive, exit north; turn right at Brown Road; turn left at Center Street; ballpark is one block on the right.
The most expensive seat in the ballpark is only $25.
The projected game day paid attendance of 3,222 at the proposed Portland ballpark is significantly below both the AAA average of 6,683 or the average of the suburban ballparks of 5,996 for 2008, but these average estimates include unpaid attendance.
The ballpark is gorgeous and offers some very nice views as well. rprins
As for Sharp, the company has outfitted Citi Field with more than 800 Aquos-branded LCD HDTVs -- found in ballpark restaurants, concourses, and club spaces.
If Esq. Meng opines a AAA ballpark is "used and occupied exclusively for public park or playground purposes" t hen it follows that it will conform with all applicable laws and city ordinances concerning the use of public facilities.
•Directions: From north or south — Take I-75 to Exit 131 (Daniels Parkway), west 3 miles to Six Mile Cypress Parkway, south for a half-mile; ballpark is on the right.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.