from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A decorated barbed dart that is thrust into the bull's neck or shoulder muscles by a banderillero in a bullfight.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A stick with a sharp end and a decorated end, which a bullfighter stick into the bull's back.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A barbed dart carrying a banderole which the banderillero thrusts into the neck or shoulder of the bull in a bullfight.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small dartlike javelin ornamented with a banderole, used in bull-fights to goad and infuriate the bull.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a decorated dart that is implanted in the neck or shoulders of the bull during a bull fight
Spanish, diminutive of bandera, banner, from Vulgar Latin *bandāria; see banner.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Spanish banderilla equivalent to Spanish bander ("banner") + -illa (Wiktionary)