from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A bar with adjustable weights at each end, lifted for sport or exercise.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A wide steel bar with premeasured weights affixed to either end, with the central span open for the hands of the weightlifter.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A bar to which heavy discs are attached at each end; -- it is used for weightlifting exercises.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bar of steel with a ball of iron at each end, used as a dumb-bell.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a bar to which heavy discs are attached at each end; used in weightlifting
bar1 + (dumb)bell.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)