from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A bar with adjustable weights at each end, lifted for sport or exercise.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A wide steel bar with premeasured weights affixed to either end, with the central span open for the hands of the weightlifter.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A bar to which heavy discs are attached at each end; -- it is used for weightlifting exercises.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bar of steel with a ball of iron at each end, used as a dumb-bell.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a bar to which heavy discs are attached at each end; used in weightlifting
In the body-piercing trade, it was what they called a barbell — a rod with a ball that screws on and off one end, just to keep the ornament from falling off, not unlike an earring post.
As for the vast majority (or perhaps the barbell is equally weighted at both ends) of people not being able to make a 'living wage,' I find this doubtful.
For more than a decade, banking experts have predicted an industry that is shaped like a "barbell" -- a few big banks at one end, thousands of tiny ones at the other and little in the middle.
Every single one of them sweats the two "O lifts": the snatch (a single, continuous motion that requires lifting the barbell from the ground and forcing yourself under it so that you're standing with your arms locked in extension above you) and the clean and jerk (start by pulling the weight from the ground to your shoulders, then dip and drive the bar overhead, splitting your legs into a half lunge to get the power to extend your arms upward).
On the other end of the barbell, which is again a large group is lower income individuals, many chronically unemployed due to length of the recession and have burned through the credit system.
This is now different than what many of us have read about and I think has been called the barbell strategy.
Wessel pushed the Frank Levy "barbell" thesis -- that there will be high-paying jobs or low-paying jobs, but nothing in between.
The fund's "barbell" approach to investing also helps.
He has created a "barbell" portfolio of U.S. government debt, with around 70% laddered into one - to five-year Treasurys and high-quality municipal bonds, and the other 30% in debt that is seven to eight years out.
I think the Mike Tyson wannabe there is doing a "clean jerk" manoeuver with that guy's "barbell"... and you should never lift without a spottter.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.