from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A clear, hard candy made by boiling down sugar, formerly with an extract of barley added.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A traditional British boiled sweet, yellow or orange in colour, with an extract of barley added as flavouring.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. sugar boiled till it is brittle (formerly with a decoction of barley) and candied.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Sugar boiled (formerly in a decoction of barley) till it becomes brittle and candied.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a brittle transparent candy made by melting and cooling cane sugar
Sorry, no etymologies found.