from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A short-haired hunting dog of a breed originating in France and having a long body, short legs, and long drooping ears.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a short-legged breed of dog of the hound family
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A small kind of hound with a long body and short legs, used as an earth dog.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A long-bodied, short-legged breed of dogs, similar in build to the dachshund, but larger and heavier. The color varies, but it is frequently white with liver-colored or black blotches.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. smooth-haired breed of hound with short legs and long ears
French, short, basset hound, diminutive of basse, fem. of bas, low; see base2.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French basset ("basset hound"), nominalization of Old French adjective basset ("short-legged"), from bas ("short, low"). (Wiktionary)