from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various marine anglerfishes of the family Ogcocephalidae, having a retractable appendage above the mouth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several anglerfish of the family Ogcocephalidae
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The Malthe vespertilio of the Atlantic coast.
- n. The flying gurnard of the Atlantic (Cephalacanthus spinarella).
- n. The California batfish or sting ray (Myliobatis Californicus.)
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fish of the family Maltheidæ (which see).
- n. A name of the flying-fish or flying-robin, Cephalacanthus volitans.
- n. Monodactylus argenteus, of the family Scorpididæ, a silvery fish with the body deeper than long. The name alludes to the high fins.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. bottom-dweller of warm western Atlantic coastal waters having a flattened scaleless body that crawls about on fleshy pectoral and pelvic fins
Sorry, no etymologies found.