Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- See battle.
- See battle.
- See battle.
- n. plural At the university of Oxford in England: College accounts for board and provisions supplied from the kitchen and buttery.
- n. The whole of the college accounts for board and lodgings, rates, tuition, and contributions to various funds.
- n. At Eton college, a small allowance of food which, in addition to the college allowance, the collegers receive from their dames.
- To stand indebted in the college-books at Oxford for provisions and drink from the buttery.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Old Eng. Law) A single combat. See Wager of battel, under wager.
- n. Univ. of Oxford, Eng. Provisions ordered from the buttery; also, the charges for them; -- only in the pl., except when used adjectively.
- v. Univ. of Oxford, Eng. To be supplied with provisions from the buttery.
- v. obsolete To make fertile.
- adj. obsolete Fertile; fruitful; productive.
“Many men "battel" at the rate of a guinea a week: I did so for years: that is, at the rate of three shillings a day for everything connected with meals, excepting only tea, sugar, milk, and wine.”
“I am not saying this man did nothing for us, but I am saying that too few in our government really care about us as we are always fighting an uphill battel for Inclusion.”
“*Gatherz up cupz tew avoid massiv kitteh-cup battel*”
“The coming battel of the title is the battle against the Banks ... which we have lost at this point.”
“Ebbery pikshure ov blak adn wite kittehs duz nawt hafta meen itz a huuuuuuuge battel between guud adn ebbil awn tihs paurtikular pikshure;”
“TeePee reely shud no bedder dan 2 challenje supeereeor creture wif de sharpy-pointy endz, iz lozin battel”
“Mah favrit pirate moment is in teh orijinal film of Treasure Island, where Wallace Beery (Long Jon Silvur) sez to Jackie Cooper (Jim) after teh battel:”
“As young terrorist grow to battel the Satan Bush we will never be safe.”
“And when they ioine battel against any other nation, vnles they do all with one consent giue backe, euery man that flies is put to death.”
“For, except Christendom, there is no land vnder heauen, which they stande in feare of, and for that cause they prepare themselues to battel against vs. This Emperors father, namely Occoday, was poisoned to death, which is the cause why they haue for a short space absteined from warre.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘battel’.
vesper bat, vampire bat, fruit bat, baseball bat, Roy Batty, Townsend's big-ea..., Kitti's Hog-nosed..., giant golden-crow..., pipistrelle bat, Birdlike Noctule, stellaluna, Allen's Big-eared... and 174 more...
Looking for tweets for battel.