American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of various small, jumping crustaceans of the family Orchestiidae, living on sandy beaches at or near the tide line. Also called sand hopper.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name of sundry small amphipod crustaceans. Also called sand-hopper, shore-jumper, and sand-flea.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) the common name of many species of amphipod Crustacea, of the family
Orchestidæ, living on the sea beaches, and leaping like fleas.
- n. etc. See under Beach, etc.
- n. small amphipod crustaceans that hop like fleas; common on ocean beaches
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘beach flea’.
Looking for tweets for beach flea.