from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various small, jumping crustaceans of the family Orchestiidae, living on sandy beaches at or near the tide line. Also called sand hopper.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the common name of many species of amphipod Crustacea, of the family Orchestidæ, living on the sea beaches, and leaping like fleas.
- n. etc. See under Beach, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name of sundry small amphipod crustaceans. Also called sand-hopper, shore-jumper, and sand-flea.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small amphipod crustaceans that hop like fleas; common on ocean beaches
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.