from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A vertical post at the corner of a bed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the four upright supports of a bedstead.
- n. A post or pin on each side of the bed to keep the bedclothes from falling off; a bedstaff.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the four standards that support a bedstead or the canopy over a bedstead.
- n. Anciently, a post or pin on each side of the bed to keep the clothes from falling off. See Bedstaff.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as bedstaff.
- n. A post forming an angle of a bedstead, in old bedsteads often rising high enough to support the canopy and rods for the curtain.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of 4 vertical supports at the corners of a bedstead
From bed + post. (Wiktionary)