from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A vertical post at the corner of a bed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the four upright supports of a bedstead.
- n. A post or pin on each side of the bed to keep the bedclothes from falling off; a bedstaff.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the four standards that support a bedstead or the canopy over a bedstead.
- n. Anciently, a post or pin on each side of the bed to keep the clothes from falling off. See Bedstaff.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as bedstaff.
- n. A post forming an angle of a bedstead, in old bedsteads often rising high enough to support the canopy and rods for the curtain.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of 4 vertical supports at the corners of a bedstead
Hitched to the bedpost was a poor, worn little stocking, arranged with much care so that Santa Claus should have as little trouble in filling it as possible.
I was torn all month long between not wanting to make the cake and wanting to add another notch to my Daring Baker "bedpost".
But the flip-side of really caring about women's "honor" and considering notches on the bedpost to be a badge of men's honor is results like those in the most recent Sexual Behavior survey.
DOES the bubblegum lose it's flavor on the bedpost overnight?
Fancy had pressed her cheek against the cool brass bedpost, her eyes half closed as if she wished she were still asleep.
She abandoned the bedpost, sweat beading beneath her pink sleep romper.
On the other is the wonky liberal/progressive view, claiming that the fabric of society is merely in flux, is being constantly re-woven, was too stuck in an impossible nuclear family pattern anyway and is now ready to be ripped up and made into a nice summer scarf good for tying your lover to the bedpost and spanking her firmly with the Polyamorist's Guide to Anal Sex and Also Quiltmaking...
Lena tied his left wrist to the bedpost before sliding down and positioning her mouth over his nipple.
Being the highly superstitious, God-fearing, slightly obsessive-compulsive, type A perfectionist that I am, with the bead in my fist, I knock on the wooden bedpost, thank God for keeping him safe, and blame his sister.
The chicks were more than happy to hang with the Peas on this tour, and there were always random chicks up for a party—more notches on the bedpost.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.