from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A pressure-induced ulceration of the skin occurring in persons confined to bed for long periods of time. Also called decubitus ulcer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A lesion caused by unrelieved pressure to any part of the body, especially portions over bony or cartilaginous areas, such as frequently develops on a person confined to a bed by infirmity.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sore on the back or hips caused by lying for a long time in bed.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A very troublesome kind of ulcer, liable to appear on patients long confined in bed and either unable or not allowed to change their position. Bed-sores occur at the parts pressed by the weight of the body, chiefly over the sacrum and trochanters, and on the elbows and heels. Also called decubitus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a chronic ulcer of the skin caused by prolonged pressure on it (as in bedridden patients)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I've never ever had a pressure ulcer also called a "bedsore" or decubitus ulcer anywhere on my body, including my tailbone, in part because I've spent quite a bit of time lobbying on it's behalf every time I put my body into strangers' hands, lay on a hard x-ray table, or require other people's assistance in keeping it healthy.
I would have gladly grabbed the pompous and corrupt Hamid Karzai by his neck and stuck his nose in a bedsore even though it would have meant my court-martial.
In late May, Donna briefly awoke, smiling at the nurses who had taken such terrific care of her that she never developed a bedsore.
She's had just one bedsore her entire life and that was a dozen years ago.
An IV needle was planted in his forearm, and a chemotherapy port gaped in his chest; he had a urinary catheter, a colostomy, a bedsore, a surgical wound, and, for all I know, a fish bone stuck in his throat.
Reeve died in 2004 from cardiac arrest brought on by a bedsore, a common problem for paralyzed people.
Violence becomes an inevitable bedsore where two uncomprehending tribes rub past each other in a small space.
Maybe granny doesn't relish the prospect of spending a couple of decades impersonating a large fleshy bedsore bedeviled antiseptic log with a feeding tube up her butt.
I reach across the bed to help the other paramedic pull his pyjamas up into proper position as he is lifted into his chair and I see an angry red bedsore peeking out from the band of elastic around his waist.
If your patient gets a bedsore then it's not paid for, but if they Code because they are too hemodynamically unstable to turn safely, then the money comes in.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.