American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The first milk secreted by a mammal, especially a cow, after parturition; colostrum.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- The first milk given by a cow after calving.
- 2. A disease caused by drinking beestings.
- n. The first milk drawn from an animal (especially a cow) after it has given birth.
- n. Plural form of beesting.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Same as biestings.
- From Old English bȳsting, from bēost. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English bestinggis, pl. of besting, from Old English bȳsting, from bēost, beestings. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“And the little old women with bandanas on their heads, who cooked for the soldiers, they outdid themselves: black widow spider meat stewed in horse piss and garlic; beestings on a biscuit, dipped in donkey dung and stuffed in red peppers.”
“So I put him in the cow-house (not to frighten the little maid), and the folding shutters over him, such as we used at the beestings; and he listened to my voice outside, and held on, and preserved himself.”
“Cormo's face and chest were badly swollen with a mass of beestings, and the Centaur was covered in half-dried black mud besides.”
“Her aunt was allergic to beestings, and was presently swaddled from the top of her straw 'brera to the hem of her faded garden dress in gauzy stuff that made her look peculiar in strong light and downright eerie in shade.”
“A porridge of goat's beestings was made for her, and for meat there were dressed the hearts of every kind of beast, which could be obtained there.”
“A porridge of goat's beestings was made for her, and for meat there were dressed the hearts of every kind of beast which could be obtained there.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘beestings’.
List of words from phrontistery.info
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
words formed as the combination of two or more other words, but which have a meaning unrelated to either of the constituent words
Looking for tweets for beestings.