from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A wide deep collar, often of lace, that covers the shoulders of a dress.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A lace collar that covers the shoulders of a dress
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of collar or cape worn by ladies.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small cape worn by women over the shoulders, usually crossed in front and open at the throat.
- n. A trimming of lace or of other material in the shape of a small cape worn round the upper edge of a low-necked waist, or in a corresponding position on the body in the case of a high-necked waist.
On the 'bertha' term: lacemakers refer to the deep flounce itself as a 'Bertha'.
Evening dresses totally exposed a woman's shoulders in a style called the 'bertha'.
He secretly visited Harper's fine store and brought home a lovely "bertha" for me made of three rows of point-lace.
César Marins 2 months ago eu me pergunto; existe algo aproveitavel de boxcar bertha?
She was wearing her black dress with the diaphanous lace on the shoulders the crescent of the chemise neckline showing underneath and with a nicely cut silk bertha hanging down from the edge of the lace.
Keni Liptzin, bertha kalich, and Sara Adler remained permanently associated with Gordin roles.
Some forty-five years later, when Harriet Lane -- the niece and White House hostess of the bachelor President James Buchanan (and the first to be called "First Lady") popularized what was called the "low-neck lace bertha" it set off something of a popular style -- yet when her immediate successor Mary Lincoln wore shoulderless, armless dresses, she was criticized as "showing off her bosom."
March 13, 2008 at 7:12 pm or it could just be the bertha bu.tt boogie
A bertha was a ruffle sewn around the neckline and shoulders of a dress.
Really mid blowing article. well done ....... big bertha
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.