from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state or quality of being better; superiority.
- n. The result or product of being better.
- n. The amount by which a precious metal exceeds the the standard of fineness.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality of being better or superior; superiority.
- n. The difference by which fine gold or silver exceeds in fineness the standard.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The quality of being better; superiority.
- n. In minting, the amount by which a precious metal exceeds the standard of fineness.
Indeed, it doesn't seem clear that there is any objective way of assessing 'betterness' in music.
Dante stands in no class at all, nor does Milton, nor does Shelley; and though Shakespeare indulgently permits himself to be classed as an "Elizabethan dramatist," what strikes true critics most is again hardly more his "betterness" than his difference.
This process also needs to be spiral so that we can continuously pursue "betterness" in various aspects of education.
That sounds like a definite betterness indeed, and very encouraging.
Her illness was psychosomatic, so her betterness has to be too.
I like Macs, but I wish the company was secure enough in its betterness to present itself simply as creating great products, not as a creating products that are better than everything else.
I can attest to the fact that bicycle gearing shares a non-linear log exponential-type betterness factor with the earthquake Richter Scale: 11 is waaaaaay better than 10, and 10 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than 9, and so on.
There are probably more such relations, e.g. temporal precedence and betterness.
This view constitutes a more radical threat to the computation of intrinsic value than does the view that intrinsic betterness is not transitive.
One response to these puzzles (eschewed by Parfit himself) is to adopt the thesis of the nontransitivity of intrinsic betterness.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.