from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man, especially one who is spirited and energetic.
- adj. Lively; spirited; cocky.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a kind of American cross country ski race.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A lively or mettlesome fellow.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Lively; spirited; tart in speech.
- n. A lively young fellow; a self-assertive fellow.
- n. Beggar-my-neighbor: a game at cards.
Possibly akin to Middle English berken, to bark, from Old English beorcan.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)