American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A book containing names of people or organizations to blacklist.
GNU Webster's 1913
- One of several books of a political character, published at different times and for different purposes; -- so called either from the color of the binding, or from the character of the contents.
- A book compiled in the twelfth century, containing a description of the court of exchequer of England, an official statement of the revenues of the crown, etc.
- A book containing details of the enormities practiced in the English monasteries and religious houses, compiled by order of their visitors under Henry VIII., to hasten their dissolution.
- A book of admiralty law, of the highest authority, compiled in the reign of Edw. III.
- A book kept for the purpose of registering the names of persons liable to censure or punishment, as in the English universities, or the English armies.
- Any book which treats of necromancy.
- A book containing a black list.
- jocose A book kept by a single man, containing a list of women whom he calls occasionally for a social date; -- usually used in the phrase little black book.
- n. a list of people who are out of favor
“The details in the box headed “Cause of Death” in the registrar’s oblong black book read “Cardiac failure due to myocardial degeneration.”
“According to the old record in the black book of Dublin, a cantred is said to contain 30 villatas terras, which are also called quarters of land (quarterons, cartrons); every one of which quarters must contain so much ground as will pasture 400 cows, and 17 plough-lands.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘black book’.
Tolkien worked in the black section
of the dictionary at one point in his life
List title totally stolen from she. Right, the stock entry for this list should be a two-word phrase where one of the words denotes a colour; even better if the expression has some metaphoric value...
Words where 'black' has a negative connotation.
The awareness of this has been more publically discussed since the 60's, however with the 2008 presidental race, I am curious if any of ...
Words and short phrases with colour names in them
Looking for tweets for black book.