from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The practice of kidnapping Pacific Islanders, or kanakas, for sale as cheap labour.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The kidnaping of negroes or Polynesians to be sold as slaves.
- n. The act or practice of collecting natives of the islands near Queensland for service on the Queensland sugar plantations.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The kidnapping of negroes or Polynesians to be sold into slavery.
- Engaged in the kidnapping of negroes or Polynesians to be sold as slaves: as, a blackbirding crew.
From blackbird + -ing, suggestedly from the putative slang blackbird ("indigenous Pacific islander"). (Wiktionary)