American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A South African antelope (Damaliscus albifrons) having curved horns and a large white mark on its face.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A large bubaline or alcela-phine antelope of South Africa, Damalis or Alcelaphus albifrons, with a white face or blaze.
- n. Alternative form of blesbuck.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) A South African antelope (Alcelaphus albifrons), having a large white spot on the forehead.
- Afrikaans : bles, white mark on an animal's face (from Middle Dutch; see bhel-1 in Indo-European roots) + bok, buck (from Middle Dutch boc). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“It was a package deal offered in partnership with a South African outfit called Frontier Safaris -- the package allowed a duiker, a warthog, an impala, a blesbok, a gemsbok, two species of springbok, a bushbok, a wildebeest, and a kudu.”
“The previous morning, I had taken a blesbok antelope.”
“‘The blesbok are changing ground,’ he said, and looked me straight in the face.”
“The blesbok, a South African antelope, is almost the same color as grapejuice!”
“Before we started next morning, a huge herd of blesbok suddenly appeared on the scene, wildly galloping about in every direction, being continually brought up by the barbed wire fences of the farms.”
“If the blesbok were changing ground, I believed that the hunters were calling out their hounds and getting ready for the chase.”
“The blesbok are changing ground,' he said, and looked me straight in the face.”
“The aasvogels follow me, and I can hear the blesbok. ”
“They followed the spoor of a company of elephants in the East country, they watched through the November mist the blesbok flying across the veld, a herd of quaggas taking cover with the rheebok, or a cloud of locusts sailing out of the sun to devastate the green lands.”
“It was a wondrous sight that now, alas! will be seen no more -- at any rate upon the Transvaal veld; wilderbeeste, blesbok, springbok, in countless multitudes, and amongst them a few quagga and hartebeeste.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘blesbok’.
Interesting words you probably won't hear in your day-to-day.
a large light-coloured antelope with curled horns. L. from an African word quoted by Pliny.
any one of a group of hollow-horned...
Looking for tweets for blesbok.