from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several different species of plants having blue flowers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of woolen cloth of a bluish color.
- n. In botany, a name given to several plants with blue flowers: to the bluebottle, Centaurea Cyanus;
- n. in the United States, to Houstonia (formerly Oldenlandia) cærulea;
- n. to a species of bilberry.
- n. In ornithology, a humming-bird of the subgenus Basilinna, as the Mexican B. leucotis, or the Californian B. xantusi, one of the queen-hummers.
From French bluet, diminutive of bleu ("blue"). (Wiktionary)