from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See sprat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sprat (small herring)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a small fatty European fish; usually smoked or canned.
- n. a small herring (Clupea sprattus) processed like a sardine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A clupeoid fish, Sardinella pilchardus, caught in great numbers in the English Channel, in the seas of Spain and Portugal, and in the Mediterranean. They are cooked and packed in oil in tin cans.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small fatty European fish; usually smoked or canned like sardines
- n. small herring processed like a sardine
Norwegian, alteration (influenced by Norwegian brisa, to flash) of Low German bretling, from bret, broad.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)