from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having a broken back
- adj. Drooping at each end because of a damaged spine
- adj. Decrepit, weakened
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having a broken back.
- adj. Hogged; so weakened in the frame as to droop at each end; -- said of a ship.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having the back broken, in any sense of the noun back: as, a broken-backed book.
- Specifically Nautical, hogged: descriptive of the condition of a ship when, from faulty construction or from grounding, her frame becomes so loosened as to cause both ends to droop.
- Of a horse, a loose term for *hollow-backed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of a ship) so weakened as to sag at each end
- adj. (of a horse) having bones of the back united by a bony growth
- adj. having the spine damaged
Sorry, no etymologies found.