from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Baseball An area where relief pitchers warm up during a game.
- n. Baseball The relief pitchers of a team considered as a group.
- n. A temporary holding area for prisoners, as in a courthouse.
- n. An open area in an office with workspace for a number of employees.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An enclosed area used to hold bulls.
- n. An enclosed area for pitchers to warm up in during a game.
- n. The relief pitchers of a team collectively.
- n. A figurative place for someone or something to get ready
- n. An open seating arrangement where project teams can communicate openly with minimal effort.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. an open area in a baseball stadium, off the playing field, where pitchers may warm up by throwing a number of trial pitches before playing.
- n. the relief pitchers on a baseball team. Contrasted with
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large cell where prisoners (people awaiting trial or sentence or refugees or illegal immigrants) are confined together temporarily
- n. a place on a baseball field where relief pitchers can warm up during a game
And then they took Mrs. Hamer out of her cell, took her to what they call the bullpen, which is where they kept the male prisoners.
Phillin 'fine: It's amazing how the Philadelphia Phillies have turned around their season considering their bullpen is ailing (Brett Myers and Tom Gordon are on the disabled list) and right-hander Freddy Garcia was dreadful (1-5, 5.90) before going on the DL last week with what could be a season-ending injury.
Don't look now, but the Twins are 3-0 and their bullpen is a huge reason why.
Hopefully there will be some clarity with their closing situation later in the spring, but the bullpen is a potential mess all year.
And I think our bullpen is as good as there is in the league.
Cox and Mazzone say they don't think the bullpen is the reason they've won only one World Series in 10 postseason appearances.
But the bullpen is a mess aside from closer Trevor Hoffman.
RHP Jeff Weaver's move to the bullpen is a sign that the Yankees 'rotation is deep and experienced with a good blend of left-right arms. ...
"He thought pitching in the bullpen is an expert type of job," said Irabu's interpreter, Kaz Kojima.
Mat at Bat: Why moving Arrojo to the bullpen is a good idea
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.