from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Nautical A light tackle having double or single blocks, used to hoist or tighten rigging.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An arrangement of blocks and pulleys, especially for tightening rigging on a ship.
- n. Storage of cargo athwartships.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A peculiar tackle, formed of two or more blocks, or pulleys, the weight being suspended to a hook block in the bight of the running part.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Nautical, a tackle used for various purposes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. English explorer who with John Speke was the first European to explore Lake Tanganyika (1821-1890)
- n. a strong dark English ale
- n. Welsh film actor who often co-starred with Elizabeth Taylor (1925-1984)
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)