from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A deciduous North American shrub (Cephalanthus occidentalis) having opposite leaves and spherical clusters of small white flowers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the genus Cephalanthus of flowering plants in the madder family.
- n. Any of the genus Conocarpus of two species of tropical flowering plants.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A shrub (Cephalanthus occidentalis) growing by the waterside; -- so called from its globular head of flowers. See capitulum.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name given to the Cephalanthus occidentalis, a North American shrub, on account of its globular flower-heads. See Cephalanthus.
button + bush (Wiktionary)