American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The edible spinachlike leaves of the dasheen.
- n. A soup or stew made of these leaves or other greens, okra, crabmeat, and seasonings.
- n. Any of various tropical plants grown in the Americas, especially of the genus Xanthosoma, cultivated for their edible leaves.
- n. A spicy soup or stew made from such leaves.
- From American Spanish calalú. (Wiktionary)
- American Spanish calulú, plant of genus Xanthosoma whose leaves are used as greens, perhaps from Tupi caárurú, thick leaf. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Fish wrapped in banana leaves, dried beans, lots of soups, rice, a native green called callaloo, rum, and a devastating moonshine concocted from fermented corn and sugarcane juice, which Fry gives a recipe for.”
“Among the offerings at Basil's Bar is soup made from a local leaf vegetable called callaloo, as well as a curried conch dish (www. basilsmustique.com; 784 / 488-8350; dinner entrees $30 and up).”
“He acknowledges using mostly American meat on his Cayman menu, but he is in dialogues with local farmers for produce such as callaloo, a leafy vegetable, which he serves with a grilled pork chop for 29 Cayman Islands dollars $35.”
“I've prepared grilled parrot fish, roasted breadfruit dumplings and callaloo," she tells me.”
“They dined on lobster tails and callaloo and sampled several of the Caribbean-style alcoholic beverages.”
“While it may be a challenge to package up delights prepared by local Montego Bay vendors -- think fresh callaloo and deliciously doughy festival, authentic spices and tasty marinades are easy to find.”
“She cannot have rice and peas, curry goat with roti, a little plantains and callaloo to put some meat on her bones?”
“His breakfast in Jamaica includes fruit and a dish consisting of poached eggs with callaloo, a leafy Caribbean green.”
“Or order the ackee and saltfish, served with festivals (fried bread) and callaloo ($16), or because it's the season, the curry lobster roll ($18).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘callaloo’.
originally started as an attempt to collect words I found visually and auditorially beautiful, as well as psychically evocative, this has become nothing more than a grab bag of word curiosities, a ...
Interesting words related to food, ingredients, dishes, cookery, cuisines and so on. Exotic in this case is entirely subjective, with funkelberries on top.
IE roots of bhel- and a few others
Looking for tweets for callaloo.