from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To chant or recite (a liturgical text) in a musical monotone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To chant, or to recite musically (especially in a synagogue)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To chant; to recite with musical tones.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To chant, intone, or recite in a half-singing style, as in Jewish synagogues. Also spelled cantilate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. recite with musical intonation; recite as a chant or a psalm
Latin cantilāre, cantilāt-, to sing, from cantāre, to sing; see kan- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)