American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A heart-shaped plane curve, the locus of a fixed point on a circle that rolls on the circumference of another circle with the same radius.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A curve which may be considered as the path of a point on the circumference of a circle which rolls on another circle of equal size.
- Resembling or having the characters of the Cardiidæ.
- n. geometry An epicycloid with exactly one cusp; the plane curve with polar equation - having a shape supposedly heart-shaped
- adj. Having this characteristic shape
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Math.) An algebraic curve, so called from its resemblance to a heart.
- n. an epicycloid in which the rolling circle equals the fixed circle
- cardio- + -oid (Wiktionary)
“Do not use a omnidirectional mic or something like that, look up "cardioid" and make sure that's the type of mic you are using!”
“† For my fellow audio engineering geeks out there, my brother held an Audio Technica Dual Reference cardioid mic directly at the sound hole on an X axis.”
“Tried the directional cardioid and the omnidirectional capsule settings, went with the omnidirectional.”
“A word of caution that it is quite sensitive and will pick up a lot of ambient noise, even using the cardioid capsule.”
“Severing the cardioid arteries releases the pressure and drains blood from the brain.”
“The image expanded; they were diving into the cleft between the main cardioid and its tangent circle.”
“It has three capsules, with settings for stereo, cardioid, omnidirectional, and bidirectional recording; a built-in headphone amplifier for latency-free monitoring; and dials to control gain and headphone volume.”
“I was so fascinated by the shape and mathematical description of a simple curve (cardioid or cissoid per - haps) that I had stumbled across in my reading that again I could not rest until I had explored in depth as many curves as I could”
“The Electro-Voice N/DYM® N/D267AS is a dynamic cardioid vocal microphone that offers clear, consistent sound without low-end distortion.”
“The mic features a one-inch side-terminated cardioid capsule with an open airy top end response.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cardioid’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
physiologic murmur, innocent murmur, functional murmur, Valentine position, cardiac arrest, cœur en sabot, heart block, heart urchin, eat one's heart out, heart attack, heart cockle, heartworm and 16 more...
starting from i dont know the 4th or 5th chapter called 'year of the depend adult undergarment'
good words related to math, physics, logic and other fields that I don't know enough of, but like anyway...
Sisyphus cooling, forbidden mechanism, false vacuum, universal extra d..., strange antiquark, strangelet, nowhere-different..., vacuous truth, deviant logic, exceptional object, monstrous moonshine, forgetful functor and 659 more...
Words taken from Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.
and other nerdy things
Looking for tweets for cardioid.