American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The sudden formation and collapse of low-pressure bubbles in liquids by means of mechanical forces, such as those resulting from rotation of a marine propeller.
- n. The pitting of a solid surface.
- n. Medicine The formation of cavities in a body tissue or an organ, especially those formed in the lung as a result of tuberculosis.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The formation of holes or cavities within an agitated liquid. Cavitation results from violent motion which breaks up the liquid into independently moving masses, each with its surface of separation, as when water is churned by the screw of a steam-vessel. The phenomenon is specially noticeable in the high-speed propellers of torpedo-boats and turbine-propelled vessels.
- From cavity. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“This process, called cavitation, can destroy a pump or cause it to deteriorate rapidly.”
“At high speeds, something will happen called cavitation," he said.”
“That kind of plooping sound the water makes pouring into the bowl is due in part to a process called cavitation (the making of a cavity), where air bubbles created by changes in pressure in the water oscillate and explode, creating teeny shock waves.”
“It is convenient to include "cavitation" within this term.”
“For your home, and using electiricy, you might want to look into the highly efficient "cavitation" water heaters and other inexpensive methods that basically come on only when you need hot water, and it is basically a special metal disk that spins in the water very fast with a motor.”
“All air in the system is under pressure (the pressure in the rubber bladder is factory-set to 5 bar) so it does not mix with any oil and cause foamy "cavitation" problems.”
“The experts concluded that these were formed by a phenomenon called "cavitation", which is caused by a restriction in the fuel flow to the pump.”
“Bigger the diameter the bigger the wound channel and more tissue damage from cavitation.”
“All the water intake ports should be submerged, which usually means water level up to or above the cavitation plate (broad flat plate above propeller) ...”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cavitation’.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Bring forth the cathartic illumination on malignant,maniacal,medical,menage a trios and more egotists stymie
This list, the one shown below this very message, is a collection of words that you cannot begin to fathom how much I adore. The list will also feature atithesis and contrasting words such as the t...
I have a list for words learned from Newsweek; here's where I keep all the stuff from other shit I read.
Except when I'm looking stuff up and find new words that way. Those go on their...
Looking for tweets for cavitation.