from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various primitive chordate animals of the subphylum Cephalochordata, such as the lancet, that lack a true vertebral column.
- adj. Of, relating to, or belonging to the subphylum Cephalochordata.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the primitive fishlike creatures, of the subphylum Cephalochordata, including the lancets, that lack a true spine but have a notochord which, in the case of cephalochordates, reaches into the head, contrary to the Urochordata
- adj. Of or pertaining to these creatures.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. fish-like animals having a notochord rather than a true spinal column
From New Latin Cephalochordāta, subphylum name : cephalo- + Chordāta, chordate phylum; see chordate.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From New Latin Cephalochordata. (Wiktionary)