from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of numerous animals belonging to the phylum Chordata, having at some stage of development a dorsal nerve cord, a notochord, and gill slits and including all vertebrates and certain marine animals, such as the lancelets.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of the phylum Chordata; numerous animals having a notochord at some stage of their development; in vertebrates this develops into the spine
- adj. Of such animals.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having the characters of the Chordata; pertaining to or resembling the Chordata: as, a chordate animal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any animal of the phylum Chordata having a notochord or spinal column
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic of the Chordata
From New Latin Chordāta, phylum name, from Latin chorda, cord; see cord.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)