from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various marine worms of the phylum Chaetognatha, which includes the arrow worms.
- adj. Of, relating to, or belonging to the phylum Chaetognatha.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several marine worms of the phylum Chaetognatha.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Chætognatha.
- n. any worm of the Chaetognatha; transparent marine worm with horizontal lateral and caudal fins and a row of movable curved spines at each side of the mouth.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the Chætognatha; chætognathous.
- n. A member of the Chætognatha.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any worm of the Chaetognatha; transparent marine worm with horizontal lateral and caudal fins and a row of movable curved spines at each side of the mouth
White, opaque spherules are selectively consumed by 8 species of fish out of 14 species examined, and a chaetognath.
Arrow worms (Phylum Chaetognatha) are abundant planktonic organisms and important predators in many food webs; yet, the classification and evolutionary relationships among chaetognath species remain poorly understood.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.