American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of several small deerlike hornless ruminants of the genera Hyemoschus and Tragulus native to the tropical rain forests of central Africa, India, and southeast Asia. Also called mouse deer.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name of the napu and other species of hornless pygmy deer of the genus Tragulus, resembling the musk-deer and often confused with it, but belonging to a different family, Tragulidæ.
- n. Any of several small hornless ruminants, of the genera Hyemoschus and Tragulus, native to tropical rainforests.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) A small ruminant of the family
Tragulidæa allied to the musk deer. It inhabits Africa and the East Indies. See kanchil.
- n. very small hornless deer-like ruminant of tropical Asia and west Africa
- French chevrotain ("little goat"), diminutive of chèvre ("goat") (Wiktionary)
- French chevrotin, from Old French, diminutive of chevrot, kid, diminutive of chevre, goat, from Latin capra, she-goat, feminine of caper, goat. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Other species include the endemic water chevrotain Hyemoschus aquaticus, African golden cat Felis aurata (K), giant forest genet Genetta victoriae, the endemic aquatic genet Osbornictis piscivora, leopard Panthera pardus, giant ground pangolin Manis gigantea, aardvark orycteropus afer, pygmy antelope Neotragus batesii, forest buffalo Syncerus caffer nanus, bush pig Potamochoerus porcus and giant forest hog Hylochoerus meinertzhageni (V) and great cane rat Thryonomys swinderianus.”
“A subspecies of mouse deer, the Balabac chevrotain (Tragulus napu nigricans), which is confined to Balabac Island, is also considered endangered.”
“The mammal community includes several ungulates of conservation importance such as the blackbuck (Antilope cervicapra), the chinkara (Gazella bennettii), and the small Indian chevrotain or mouse deer (Moschiola meminna).”
“The water chevrotain, a related African animal, is found from eastern Zaire to the Atlantic coast. figure”
“Un apertu sur l'Tcologie du chevrotain africain, Hyemoschus aquaticus Ogilby, Artiodactyle Tragulide.”
“Le comportement du chevrotain africain, Hyemoschus aquaticus Ogilby (Artiodactyla, Ruminantia).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘chevrotain’.
What is this list about?
Interesting words in nature and natural science (in any language!).
What kind of words am I supposed to add?
You can add species names that you lov...
Some more words for intermediate and advanced spellers.
Bizarre stuff found there. Note that archaic terms are occasionally not spelled the way we spell them today; in these cases I've tried to link to the modernized spelling (where known) on the word p...
I've no idea where I got this page full of words, but whatever it is, I want to find it again. May have duplicate words from other lists.
Looking for tweets for chevrotain.