from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several small deerlike hornless ruminants of the genera Hyemoschus and Tragulus native to the tropical rain forests of central Africa, India, and southeast Asia. Also called mouse deer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several small hornless ruminants, of the genera Hyemoschus and Tragulus, native to tropical rainforests.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small ruminant of the family Tragulidæ a allied to the musk deer. It inhabits Africa and the East Indies. See kanchil.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name of the napu and other species of hornless pygmy deer of the genus Tragulus, resembling the musk-deer and often confused with it, but belonging to a different family, Tragulidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. very small hornless deer-like ruminant of tropical Asia and west Africa
French chevrotin, from Old French, diminutive of chevrot, kid, diminutive of chevre, goat, from Latin capra, she-goat, feminine of caper, goat.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
French chevrotain ("little goat"), diminutive of chèvre ("goat") (Wiktionary)