American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Designed to resist tampering by young children: a childproof aspirin bottle.
- adj. Made safe for young children, as by the removal or alteration of potential hazards: a childproof kitchen.
- v. To make childproof: childproof a house.
- adj. Designed to be unable for a child to use, operate, or open.
- adj. Made safe for children.
- adj. Made safe from children; resistant to damage by children.
- v. To make something childproof.
- v. make safe against children
- From child + -proof (Wiktionary)
“At Oakland's Harborside Health Center, pot is sold not by dealers but from a clean, white building where doors open by fingerprint scans, cameras monitor every corner, and pot brownies come in "childproof" wrappers.”
“Firehouses are generally not safe "childproof" environments.”
“We hope the proposals to make vending machines 'childproof' will be rigidly enforced and that if they don't work, then this issue will be revisited by ministers, "the group said.”
“The caps to medicine bottles are child-resistant, not childproof," warns Dr. Muller.”
“After a brief fight with the childproof cap, I tapped two red and yellow capsules out into my palm and dry-swallowed them.”
“They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof.”
“As parents and grandparents, we do everything we need to do to childproof; now we need teen-proof by getting medicine out of the medicine cabinet," said Leonhart.”
“Obama and Biden would repeal the Tiahrt Amendmentment ... they support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof.”
“Johnson Creek Enterprises LLC, a Wisconsin firm that makes its own "smoke juice," says it lists all the ingredients on its packaging and uses childproof caps.”
“Is there a childproof storage area for cleaning materials?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘childproof’.
A list of words ending in -proof. Please add your favorite(s). Mine is foolproof.
*Proof* looks and sounds funny to me.
Included is proof-strain, which, with strainproof, makes a nice ...
impervious to; protected against; as strong as
Looking for tweets for childproof.