from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Christianity The doctrine stating that Jesus will reign on earth for 1,000 years.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Belief in an earthly thousand-year period of peace and prosperity, sometimes equated with the return of Jesus for that period.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The millennium.
- n. The doctrine of the personal reign of Christ on earth during the millennium.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The doctrine, suggested by the 20th chapter of Revelation, of a visible and corporeal government of Christ and the saints on earth in the last days, continuing for a thousand years, preceded by a first resurrection of the righteous only, and succeeded by a final struggle between good and evil, a second resurrection, and the last judgment. See millenarianism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. belief in the Christian doctrine of the millennium mentioned in the Book of Revelations
New Latin chīliasmus, from Late Latin chīlias, chiliad; see chiliad.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek χιλιασμός (khiliasmos), from χίλιοι (chilioi, "thousand"). (Wiktionary)