American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Christianity The doctrine stating that Jesus will reign on earth for 1,000 years.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The doctrine, suggested by the 20th chapter of Revelation, of a visible and corporeal government of Christ and the saints on earth in the last days, continuing for a thousand years, preceded by a first resurrection of the righteous only, and succeeded by a final struggle between good and evil, a second resurrection, and the last judgment. See millenarianism.
- n. Belief in an earthly thousand-year period of peace and prosperity, sometimes equated with the return of Jesus for that period.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The millennium.
- n. The doctrine of the personal reign of Christ on earth during the millennium.
- n. belief in the Christian doctrine of the millennium mentioned in the Book of Revelations
- From Ancient Greek χιλιασμός (khiliasmos), from χίλιοι (chilioi, "thousand"). (Wiktionary)
- New Latin chīliasmus, from Late Latin chīlias, chiliad; see chiliad. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“His apostles, as well as the great body of primitive Christians, held and taught what some call chiliasm, or millenarianism, can as readily be substantiated.”
“Jacobs and Haas, Dr. Seiss states: "That there have been teachings and beliefs put forth, and usually called chiliasm, which are heretical and subversive of the true Gospel, there can be no question.”
“We turned our backs on that, which was good; but it seemed like the world got a little smaller when we weren't among people who were trying to build the chiliasm, however imperfectly.”
“Build the chiliasm by living it, right here and now.”
“Maybe we can feel the chiliasm coming, but it's not here yet — we still have to play out the last minutes of the game even if the outcome is a foregone conclusion.”
“*** (Translator's note: millenarism, chiliasm, doctrine of belief in the millenium)”
“Further to the millennium/chiliasm theme, here's what 'The Morning of the Magicians' has to say about Fulcanelli.”
“However, near the south transept there is a humble stone cross, as simple as it is strange, hiding amidst the greenery of the square ... whatever its age [late 17th/early 18th Cent], the HEndaye cross shows by the decoration of its pedestal that it is the strangest monument of primitive millenarism, the rarest symbolical translation of chiliasm***, which I have ever met.”
“MES's interest in the millenium, and chillinism and chiliasm.”
“Indeed, despite Calvins Augustinian avoidance of historically oriented eschatology," writes Robin Bruce Barnes, "the hint of progressivism in his thought left the way open for the frank meliorism and chiliasm of many later Calvinist thinkers.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘chiliasm’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Terms associated with the Christianity, The Bible, etc. I have a related, but more narrow list called Imbible Code.
A related list is Words Associated With Jesus.
who is this god person, anyway? (--Douglas Adams)
My Favorite Words
All the words from the Grandiloquent Dictionary.
946 of these 2700 words do not yield any results in six different dictionaries, hence many of them might be misspellings.
Oddments culled from my "main" lists that belong in a display cabinet of their own, plus sundry other curiosities. :-)
Words I've come across while reading and looked up in the dictionary.
Looking for tweets for chiliasm.