American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A group that contains 1,000 elements.
- n. One thousand years; a millennium.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A thousand; the numbers from one multiple of a thousand to the next.
- n. Specifically The period of a thousand years.
- n. a group of 1000 things
- n. a period of 1000 years; a millennium
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A thousand; the aggregate of a thousand things; especially, a period of a thousand years.
- n. the cardinal number that is the product of 10 and 100
- chilia- + -ad (Wiktionary)
- Late Latin chīlias, chīliad-, from Greek khīlias, from khīlioi, thousand; see gheslo- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“During these conferences the alteration proposed by Briggs was agreed upon; and on his return from his second visit to Edinburgh in 1617 he accordingly published the first chiliad of his logarithms.”
“The subject rose into importance again at the approaching close of the first chiliad of Christianity, but soon died away as the excitement of that ominous epoch passed with equal disappointment to the hopes and the fears of the believers.”
“African kingdom of Nimrod, which cannot be placed later than in the seventh chiliad.”
““The Divine institution of a sabbatical, or seventh year’s solemnity among the Jews, has a plain typical reference to the seventh chiliad, or millenary of the world, according to the well known tradition among the”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘chiliad’.
Being a list of words which have "especially" in their definitions.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Being a list of words which have "specifically" in their definitions.
Temporary list is temporary.
Collecting a few words here, which are then to be alloted to other lists.
A mixture of words that I like or have commented on, along with ones parked here so they'd be listed somewhere or remind me of lists I want to make.
Yes. Yes it does.
All the words from the Grandiloquent Dictionary.
946 of these 2700 words do not yield any results in six different dictionaries, hence many of them might be misspellings.
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
Looking for tweets for chiliad.